Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton Part 11

I am not going to do a traditional review instead I am going to tell you what I liked about this book.


1.From the moment I picked it up, I loved it.
2.I was hooked from the first line.
3.I loved the portrait that Catton painted of Hokitika, so much so I wanted to take off down there as soon as....
4.I loved the characters, they were vivid and realistic and were meticulously unravelled in all their glory as the story progressed, I even loved the characters I hated!
5.The language Catton used was divine and totally appropriate to the time/place.
6.Not all our questions were answered... Sequel maybe?
7.The front notes at the beginning of each chapter started out small and just got bigger, love, love, loved them!
8.Didn't get the astrological stuff...but it didn't matter one iota, it looked good!
9.It was simply a marvellous murder/who dunnit story with a little bit of love thrown in.
10.It was a huge book but it couldn't have been anything else... In this case big fitted, sore arms and all!
11.It was rather popular with my Book Club, well at least with the majority who liked it...
12 It was in my opinion a simply wonderful achievement by a talented young lady!

No comments: