Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Headmaster's Wife by Thomas Christopher Grewne

Highly recommended to me by American Bloggers, this was the type of read that is simply too hard to put down, the author hooks you in and just keeps the pace up so that you want to know what happens next.
Set in an Upper Class School in Vermont, the story has as it's axis Arthur Winthrop, the schools headmaster and tells in a moving, engaging way his life story which twists and turns in quite unexpected ways.
Greene draws his characters beautifully, faults and all. I felt as I read that a delicate picture was being drawn for me and the picture got more lush as we progressed,equally his settings are drawn in such a manner, that I,12,000 miles away could see them quite clearly in my mind and I think  I would recognise certain areas should I visit.
Character driven with a very strong storyline and some surprising twists, I have kept this review short so as not to spoil it for you.
Available in good Bookshops everywhere and via the Library System.

No comments: