Saturday, July 14, 2012

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

This is not my usual type of read but I`d heard so much buzz about it that I had to pick it up and once I did I couldn`t put it down.
The story starts with the disappearance on their 5th Wedding Anniversary of Nick Dunne`s wife Amy, who leaves a disturbed house and simply vanishes or so it seems...
We learn of Amy through her diaries and Nick through the present as the search for the missing Amy unfolds and it isn`t a particulary pretty picture.Flynn is a clever writer, she starts the book with a rather slow pace, ups it a bit and then leads you along in her clever grip so that you simply want to find out what is going to happen next,you are hooked. I found that when I thought I had figured the story out, Flynn would throw something else into the mix like a conjurer and I`d be back at square one again, to call this book suspenseful is understatement, it is dark and twisty,there are stories within stories and the book continually challenges your perceptions... Do you really know your nearest/dearest as you think you do? What lurks behind a marriage? What secrets lie in wake? Is what you believe real? Is what you see real?
Flynn`s writing is never less than sharp and she uses her words to build a picture of dysfunction and manipulation that is stunning, there are no lapses in this book, the pace doesn`t slacken and the turns and twists have you wishing to continue reading until that final page, the ending of this book is stunning.
A psychological thriller of the highest order, this book is available at all good book sellers.

No comments: